Friday, July 29, 2011

14 Weeks

Today we are 14 weeks along and still doing great!  Our baby should be about 3 ½ inches long and we are in our second trimester now.  We had a checkup with our doctor today and it went well too.  They checked my blood pressure which was low as usual, weighed me and I was surprised to find out I haven’t even gained a pound yet, measured my belly and it was about 8cm, and then we got to listen to the heartbeat of our baby!  At the last appointment the heart rate was 180 and this time it was 164 beats per minute but it is normal for it to decrease as the baby grows.  I know there is no truth to old wives tales but it says that the heart rate indicates we are having a girl.  We will see on August 25 when we find out the gender, I still think we are having a boy!  I am so excited that I started feeling the baby right at 13 weeks but it just feels like little tickles or tingles in my belly, no kicking yet.  I didn’t start feeling Luke until he was about 15/16 weeks but I think a lot of that is because I didn’t know what it would feel like and this time I already know so I recognized it earlier.  The only bad thing about our appointment today is that they weren’t able to take my blood so I have to go next week for blood work.  I always have a hard time with needles and my veins so I warned them and it was no surprise.  I have been told many times that my veins are so small and “slippery”, oh well!  Here is a picture of our growing baby and my growing belly -